Nancy Lynn Pellegrini
- Phone: +86 186 1053 5863 (China) / +1 480 299 3926 (US)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: www.nancypellegrini.com
- WeChat ID: NancyPellegrini
WonderTree Global Education Group
Beijing, China: Mar. to Jun. 2018
- Wrote and edited web content and business documents such as job descriptions, internal staff agreements, and policy directives.
- Wrote and edited WeChat marketing material and weekly posts.
- Edited teacher and parent handbooks and helped design curriculum theory.
United Nations Migration Agency (IOM)
Copyeditor, substantive editor
Beijing, China: Nov. 2016-present
- Perform light, medium, or substantive editing on translated IOM policy papers that cover issues of marriage migration and human trafficking.
- Check grammar, punctuation, and sentence structure, as well as eliminate repetition, rewrite and reorganize for clarity, and check accuracy of tables and graphs.
Beijing, China: Sept. 2016-present
- Proofread or perform medium edits on educational material such as professional development, early childhood education, English-language competitions, marketing material, and a series of fictional stories with reappearing characters and storylines.
- Check grammar, sentence structure, and consistency of information.
Penguin Random House North Asia
Beijing, China: Dec. 2015-present
- Wrote The People’s Bard: How China Made Shakespeare its Own (2016), a Penguin Special that covers Shakespeare’s influence on Chinese theatre, academia, criticism, translation techniques, traditional opera, and general history, as well as profiles of local Shakespearean heroes.
- Have spoken on the subject on a national tour organized by the British Council, as well as for the Royal Geographical Society, Royal Asia Society, Shanghai’s Foreign Correspondents’ Club, China Watchers, and others.
United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
Copyeditor, substantive editor
Beijing, China: Jun. 2014-2016
- Edit translated UNDP policy papers on topics such as pan-Asian social welfare, public finance, social insurance, and equitable welfare systems.
- Check grammar, punctuation, and sentence structure; assess arrangement and clarity of content as well as accuracy of tables and graphs.
Menuhin Competition Beijing 2012
Press liaison, blogger
Beijing, China: Apr. 2012
- Created daily blogs chronicling a behind-the-scenes look at the prestigious two-week traveling international youth violin competition.
- Conducted juror and contestant interviews for profile material; spoke with audience members and competitors’ parents about the candidates and the competition itself.
- Produced daily press releases and wrote promotional material for website; created the “How I Play” interview series with competition jurors, which gave practice and performance tips.
China-Britain Business FOCUS magazine
Subeditor, staff writer
Beijing, China: Sept. 2011-Jan. 2016
- Edited features from staff and freelancers for the China-Britain Business Council’s monthly magazine, which covers business, legal, and political issues concerning the Sino-British relationship.
- Checked factual, grammatical, and structural clarity, created headlines and leads, selected pull-quotes, and revised and updated style guide. Wrote features when needed.
- Wrote monthly "City Snapshot" from 2013-2014, which examined the business environment, culture, and history of Chinese urban centers, and featured profiles of government officials and successful entrepreneurs.
Time Out Beijing, Time Out Shanghai magazines
Stage section writer, editor, editor at large
Shanghai and Beijing, China: Nov. 2005-present
- Write eight to ten monthly previews and features, as well as reviews, blogs, and listings on classical music, opera, Chinese music, Chinese opera, ballet, modern dance, drama, and musical theatre in Beijing and Shanghai.
- Conduct interviews, create headlines and leads, select pull-quotes, and source pictures.
- Edit freelance contributions; write and edit monthly listings.
- Profiled Beijing-based NGOs seeking volunteers for "Get Involved" column from 2005-2010.
Gallery manager, writer, editor
Beijing, China: Nov. 2009-Dec. 2015
- Researched, wrote and edited catalogues of North Korean art and created editorial style guide.
- Did developmental editing on screenplay for the first North Korean-Western film production Comrade Kim Goes Flying (2014), as well as for North Korean television projects.
- Arranged exhibitions, handled sales and customer relations, and instituted art-on-order system; developed art cataloguing and coding system.
- Designed a specialized, four-day art and performance tour to North Korea; developed a two-hour North Korean art appreciation course for tourists and staff.
Presenter, host, moderator
Beijing, China: Sept. 2009-Dec. 2018
- Co-founded and host Sunday Salon, a monthly interactive classical music performance series featuring internationally known Chinese musicians such as violinist Ning Feng, pianist Chen Sa, pipa artist Lan Weiwei, guzheng artist Ji Wei, the Chu Yibing Cello Ensemble and others.
- Book and pre-interview guests, research composers, collaborate on music selections, design event program, and conduct event interviews.
Interactive Dance Lecture Series
- Collaborated with French Embassy to host interactive multimedia presentation series with choreographers Anthony Egea and Dominique Boivin, and with dance journalist Philipe Noisette.
- Moderated The Bookworm’s book talk on Beethoven in China (Penguin, 2015) by Jindong Cai and Shelia Melvin, with co-author Jindong Cai.
Wrote for the British Library Literature Project, South China Morning Post, Christian Science Monitor, Tatler, Gramophone, Modern Painters, Strings, Opera Now, and others; wrote International Piano’s bi-monthly "Letter from China" (2009-2011), and have been a regular contributor to The Strad.
Wrote Beijing, (Chelsea House Publishers, 2007), a middle school supplemental textbook, and Through Western Eyes: Korea, (Whittier Publishers, NY 1998, with original photographs), a university supplemental textbook.
Contributed to the Berkshire Dictionary of Chinese Biography, "Tan Dun," Vol 4 (2015); Beijing, Time Out Guides, (2007); DK Eyewitness Top Ten Travel Guide: Beijing, (2007), wrote 2017 relaunch (2016); Travelers’ Tales: China, (2004).
Edited promotional material for International Fund for Animal Welfare and Standard Arts Management.
Television and Radio—Writer, Editor, and Presenter:
Wrote, edited, and presented English education scripts on China Educational Television (2003), Beijing Television 6 (2003-2004), China Radio International (2005-2008), and Korea’s Educational Broadcasting Systems (1996-1997).
Spoke about China issues, arts in China, and Shakespeare in China to organizations such as BBC 4, the British Council, Royal Geographical Society, Royal Asia Society, Stanford University, Shanghai's Foreign Correspondents’ Club, Pamlico Community College, Fairfield Harbor Community Centre, Potomac School, Chongqing Bookstore, Chengdu's Yan Ji You Bookstore, China Watchers, and The Bookworm in Beijing.
University of California San Diego Extension
- Professional Copyediting Certificate: 4.0/4.0, Dec. 2016-Mar. 2018
Completed a four-course certificate program in professional copyediting, which offered intensive training in grammar, copyediting, and substantive editing.
State University of New York at Buffalo
- Bachelor of Arts in English, magna cum laude: 3.7/4.0
- Bachelor of Arts in political science, magna cum laude: 3.5/4.0
University distinctions include honors program, dean’s list, outstanding student citation in political science, and model EU commissioner (Spain) in seminar held in Luxembourg. Served as education director and then internal affairs director for Community Action Corps, a volunteer group and the university's second-largest student organization.
Ed2go (US Community College Online Courses)
- Certificate Courses: 2003-2004; 2014-2015
Have earned certificates in editing, technical writing, resume writing, travel writing, magazine writing, creative writing, memoir writing, Merrill Ream Speed Reading, Internet marketing and markets, research methods, e-book publishing, web content writing, and social media marketing.
Awards and Distinctions
- Long Service Award For Outstanding Work and Superb Writing: Time Out Beijing, Jun. 2013
- First Prize for Opinion / Essay: Long Island Press Club Society of Professional Journalists Award, Jun. 2005
- Third Prize for Non-Fiction : WIWA Whidbey Island Writers Conference Benefactors’ Award, May 2005